Comparing Vinyl Siding And Fiber Cement Board Siding
- Remodeling

Evaluating Vinyl Siding And Fiber Cement Board Siding

If you’re available on the market for some new house siding, certainly you’ve gotten thought-about vinyl. Vinyl siding is without doubt one of the hottest and trusted supplies within the business, and has been for a number of many years. Nonetheless, you will discover that there are many different siding choices to select from as effectively. One of many trendiest choices as we speak is fiber cement board siding. Nonetheless, the product you select will in the end rely on a number of elements, together with private desire, finances, and property sort. To get began along with your determination making course of, proceed studying and be taught the essential professionals and cons to vinyl siding and fiber cement board siding. Vinyl Siding Based on freedoniagroup.com, vinyl siding at present makes up for 27% of the market. Nonetheless, market development is beginning to decelerate because of competitors. It’s 80% polyvinylchloride, also referred to as PVC, which is an artificial plastic polymer used for all types of constructing supplies. The remaining 20% is a mix of components that offers vinyl siding its shade, texture, and breadth. One of many best attributes of vinyl siding is that it’s extremely low upkeep. All it takes is a few heat water and little bit a light dish cleaning soap to wash, and it by no means requires any new coats of paint. Moreover, there are actually a whole lot of colours and types to select from. One other great attribute of vinyl siding is that set up is straightforward. Not solely does this imply roofing contractors can get the job achieved as much as code rapidly, it additionally means shoppers pay much less for labor. PVC-type siding can be extremely useful as a result of it’s energy-efficient. In truth, it has a fundamental R-value score of .61, whereas insulated vinyl siding can retain R-values ranging between 2.Zero and three.0. This helps to scale back vitality consumption and decrease month-to-month utility payments. Vinyl siding is non-absorptive, extremely sturdy, and normally comes with a really beneficiant guarantee. Additionally it is one of the vital cheap siding supplies, ranging between $three and $6 per sq. foot. Fiber Cement Board Siding Compared to vinyl siding, fiber cement board solely has a fraction of the market. Nonetheless, statistics present that it’s rising at an annual fee of 8%, thus gaining on the vinyl market. Fiber cement board siding is comprised of pure aggregates like sand and gravel, in addition to different components like wooden fibers. In distinction to vinyl siding, this makes fiber cement very eco-friendly, and even recyclable. It’s extra excessive upkeep in comparison with its PVC companion, contemplating it does require periodic repainting and minor restore, together with periodic caulking to stop water leaks, wooden rot, and different varieties of moisture injury. Fiber cement board is barely out there in a restricted choice of pre-painted colours, nevertheless, it may be painted any shade you want, making your choices incident. Simply take into account that it can require repainting every now and then. A typical drawback famous by customers is the method of set up. Not solely does it take extra time because it requires priming, portray, and caulking, it requires a extra complicated set of instruments and strategies, which additionally takes extra time and talent.